We all have good and bad days, it’s a part of life and something we can usually get on without giving it a second thought. We all have ups and downs, days where maybe we’re really not feeling so great, maybe you have a day that starts out bad and you think it’s only going to get worse from here, but then something really good happens and surprises you. Or maybe you have a really bad day.
What can we do when this happens? I’m talking about the sort of day where you feel really miserable, you feel like the whole world is against you and everyone hates you and is out to get you, the sort of day where all you want to do is curl up under your bed covers and cry for the next 50 years and eat ice cream.
I’m sure we’ve all experienced one of these days at some point as well, they’re not nice, but what can we do to survive them? We can’t hold a pity party for long, the demands on us in today’s society don’t allow it. You’re expected to be back up and running again, no matter how shit you feel. By the way, I highly recommend the guide by Jason Richards to everyone who wants to learn some extra survival tips.
I can’t suggest what might be best for you personally, you figure out what’s best for you by trial and error, but I am going to list the things that help me personally when I’m stuck in that pit of despair feeling sorry for myself. If you try them out, who knows, maybe they might help you!
- Watch a trashy/comedy/musical film. Any of these options work well for me, even the romantic ones work too sometimes because it might be the case that all you need is a good cry!
- Phone a friend.
- Exercise. It releases endorphins which make you feel good!
- Meditation. This is becoming more and more common now as something to turn to when you’re stressed, overworked, unhappy, anything and fortunately, it’s become a lot more popular.
- Cuddle your pet. Now I know this doesn’t work if you don’t have a pet but if you do this is the best thing, it’s so therapeutic just having a big dog (or little cat) sat there with you not saying anything and you don’t have to worry about if they like you or not, as long as you’re feeding them/petting them they’re happy and they like you so…
- Doing something creative. I am not a person who can just sit in bed feeling sorry for myself all day so if I can just get myself doing something small that I can think of as an achievement, I think of it as a positive.
- Read a good book. Like watching a movie, if you read you can literally escape from whatever your current situation is. Nothing makes me happier than having the time to read, it’s one of my major joys and something I always go to do when I’m feeling stressed.